A Journey of Global Flavors: Gastronomic Excellence Aboard The World
From world-renowned guest chefs to locally sourced cocktail ingredients
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA – Innovative gastronomic creations that delight the palate. Extraordinary skill in preparing global cuisine with the freshest local ingredients. An award-winning wine list sourced from the world’s greatest wine regions. This unmatched passion, creativity and enthusiasm is what distinguishes and defines the dining experience on board The World, the largest privately owned residential yacht on earth.
Restaurants & Dining Options
For the 150 families from 20 countries who call The World home, the quality and diversity of its foods and beverages and the high-level of service presented are of the upmost importance. Residents can choose from a variety of restaurants on board from fine-dining haute cuisine to casual, pick up and go. The Ship’s four main restaurants include:
- East – eclectic Asian cuisine serving sushi, sashimi, Pan-Asian specialties (Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian); locally sourced and hand-selected items from local markets; some tables are fitted with removable turntables for family-style dining.
- Marina – contemporary steakhouse, fresh seafood, and caviar presented with an international flair; Chef’s Table showcases the preparation of fresh oysters, seafood and freshly carved Ibérico ham; largest restaurant; venue for large events (birthdays) and themed nights (Moulin Rouge, masked balls).
- Portraits – fine dining, haute cuisine at a Michelin-star level; art deco-inspired design using exquisite materials such as Carrera marble, ebony, and mother of pearl; three types of service – Truly Portraits (formal), Simply Portraits (smart casual) and Portraits Bistro (smart casual); private areas to host groups for private events; custom, temperature-controlled wine vault; jewel embellished art piece by South American artist Nina Suriel; Swedish artist Nathalie Edemont-created piece of lady wearing flowers.
- Tides – Mediterranean cuisine with Northern Italian flair.
More casual venues are also available:
- Fredy’s Deli – offering four distinct specialty areas. Residents can order from Fredy’s online or call for delivery. A wide variety of food and beverage items are available for Residents who enjoy cooking in their Apartments. Items can be ordered while on board or pre-ordered in advance of embarkation and will be delivered to their Residence upon their return to the Ship. A Culinary Corner is open on Sea Days and during expeditions featuring pre-prepared foods.
– Fredy’s Deli Barista – specialty and destination-inspired coffees, to-go items, fresh pastries, and salads
– Fredy’s Deli Café – full dining and express service (within 15 minutes), sandwiches, salads, and pastries
– Fredy’s Deli Marketplace – fresh local produce from the ports visited, gourmet items, wine, champagne, spirits, retail products
– Fredy’s Deli Lounge – for coffee and additional express dining seating
- Poolside Grill – casual outdoor dining and cuisine (burgers, salads, comfort food, light meals) offering a broad selection designed to satisfy any palate.
Throughout the year a selection of acclaimed guest chefs helps “bring the destination alive” through culinary discoveries. Supported by The World’s own experienced staff, guest chefs craft menus highlighting their specialties, often emphasizing their region to showcase diverse flavors and styles. Among the notable guest chefs who have cooked for Residents include:
- Chef Curtis Duffy of Chicago’s Ever restaurant and three-Michelin-star award winner
- Chef Soenil Bahadoer, head chef of Restaurant De Lindehof in Nuenen, Netherlands and two-Michelin-star award winner
- Chef Jonas Andre Navik of Norway’s Michelin-starred Restaurant Fagn
- Chef Viki Geunes of t’Zilte in Antwerp, Belgium and two-Michelin-star award winner
- Chef Silvio Nickol, head chef of his namesake two-Michelin-star restaurant in Vienna’s historic luxury hotel Palais Coburg
- Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi, celebrity chef of India, TV anchor, restaurant owner, consultant, author, and TEDx speaker
- Chef James Berckemeyer of Lima, Peru’s La Ladrillera
- Chef Miguel Schiaffino of Lima, Peru’s Malabar
- Chef Mark Jordan from Jersey, Channel Islands
- Chef Vicky Ratnani, TV host, food connoisseur, and restaurant founder, Mumbai, India
- Chef Michelle Bernstein, James Beard Foundation Award winner
- Chef Michel Stroot, James Beard Foundation Award nominee
- Chef Takatoshi Tashito, Japanese sushi chef
Sourcing Local Products
The masterful Food & Beverage (F&B) Team displays their unrivaled culinary wizardry by embracing local produce and distinct flavors of the destinations visited and by showcasing them in inventive menus. When in port, they explore local markets for fresh and indigenous ingredients. Whether featuring Alaskan king crab, artisanal cheeses, farm fresh local vegetables and herbs, seasonal fresh fruits, white Alba truffles, Japanese top-grade tuna, Kobe beef, Moroccan spices, or Spanish Bellota Ibérico ham, The World’s chefs bring the destination alive through food to further enhance the journey. Residents often accompany the chefs to local markets to immerse themselves in the culture, speak with local growers and enrich their culinary knowledge.
Fresh is the Order of the Day
Approximately 35 percent of the food on The World is bought fresh which is an extremely high percentage for a passenger vessel that is always on the move. Aside from the daily fresh-baked breads and pastries and what is acquired locally, food is also flown to ports by air freight and then quickly delivered to ensure optimum quality.
To complement The World’s journey across the globe and bring the destination alive, themed lunches and dinners are organized. The Ship’s interesting locales, whether large cosmopolitan cities or small remote islands, have inspired many creative food-themed events such as a Moroccan evening, Indian culinary journey with Bollywood entertainment, a Viking event, Greek evening at The Pool, and Beach BBQs.
Call-a-Chef™ and In-Residence Dining Offers a Truly Unique Experience
Residents seeking a unique and truly personalized dining and entertainment option may take advantage of The World’s “Call-A-Chef™” program. On request, a chef will prepare a delicious meal in the privacy of their Residence – ideal for a romantic dinner, special celebration, or get-together with friends. In-Residence dining is also available 24 hours a day for those who wish to dine in the privacy and comfort of their home.
Wineries and Wine Masters from Around the World
The World’s journey brings many opportunities for Resident wine connoisseurs and enthusiasts to learn of wine-making cultures and enjoy award-winning wines. Its sommeliers offer a diverse wine selection sourced from wineries around the world, many purchased along the Ship’s journey to some of the best wine-growing regions on earth. Several of the Ship’s featured wines are produced by small boutique wineries whose production is small and highly allocated. Vintners are invited on board to host tastings and master classes giving Residents rare insight into winemaking philosophies and terroir, direct from the specialists. Additionally, The World’s chefs and sommeliers work together to create imaginative wine pairings for multi-course dinners that reflect the diversity of the Ship’s cuisine and the destinations visited.
Residents enjoy privileged access to exclusive tours and private tastings onshore at world-renowned and undiscovered wineries. They have been received by winery owners for bespoke visits:
- Australia: Cullen, Leeuwin, Moss Wood, Howard Park, Thompson, Henschke, Torbreck, Chris Ringland, Jim Barry, Hewitson, Yalumba
- Bordeaux, France: Chateaux Margaux, d’Issan, d’Yquem, Canon, Figeac, Cheval Blanc, Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Conseillante, Smith Haut-Lafitte
- California (U.S.): B Cellars, Joseph Phelps, Grace Winery, Opus One
- New Zealand: Kumeu River, Craggy Range, Herzog, Whitehaven, Te Mata, Trinity Hill Winery
- Oregon (U.S.): Domaine Serene, Elk Cove, Domaine Drouhin
- South Africa: Kanonkop, Kelin Constantia, De Toren, Stark Konde, Raats Family, Constantia Uitsig
The World is honored to have hosted wine personalities such as:
- Albie Koch of De Toren, Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Bob Betz of Betz Winery, Washington State
- Carles and Mariona Pastrana of Clos de L’Obac (Priorat, Spain)
- Dick Grace of Grace Family Vineyards (Napa Valley, California)
- Erwan Le Brozec of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild, Bordeaux
- Hans Herzog of Herzog Winery, Marlborough, New Zealand
- Herve Berland of Chateau Montrose, Bordeaux
- Jean-Charles Cazes of Chateau Lynch Bages, Bordeaux
- Nick Buck of New Zealand’s oldest winery, Te Mata Estate Wines
- Peter Cago of Penfolds Winery, Australia
- Priscilla Incisa della Rocchetta of Tenuta San Guido, the producer of the famed Sassari
- Ryan Harris of Domaine Serene, Oregon
- Sandra Tavares da Silva and Jorge Serodio Borges, winemakers and owners of Wine&Soul Douro Valley, Portugal
- Tsushima Kitahara, a 13th generation sake producer of the famous Shichiken Brewery, Japan
- Vincent Wallays of Domaine Chanson, Burgundy
Creative Cocktails and Elite Spirits
The World’s Beverage Team styles its cocktails by applying the principles of modern mixology. Drinks are prepared with market-fresh, high-quality products and premium spirits primarily crafted by artisan distilleries. To enhance the flavor profile, delicate herbal and floral aromas are added by using homemade infusions. Sourcing local products is important, and the Beverage Team is on a constant quest to discover and incorporate unique local beverages, fruits, herbs and spices into drinks. Inspired by the Ship’s journey to Asia, the team created a cocktail menu reflecting the region’s exotic flavors and ingredients. Crafted sake, shochu and Japanese whiskies were used as base spirits, calamansi fruit replaced lemon and infusions with pandan, kaffir lime leaves and yuzu were used to transfer the essence of the destination into the glass. Tropical fruits such as avocado, guava, jack fruit java plum, longan, mango, mangosteen, papaya, soursop pomegranate, and sapodilla, were incorporated into smoothies. The flavors of the Peruvian Andes and Amazon were represented by aguyamanto, aguaje, lucuma, tuna and cocona fruits. New green drinks with bitter gourd, bottle gourd and various algae from the Asian markets were also developed to boost the immune system.
Cocktail Lounges and Bars
Residents can enjoy The World’s wines, spirits and a multitude of specialty beverages in numerous cocktail lounges and bars including the Cigar Club (featuring cigars from Cuba and Dominican Republic, premium rums, Scotch whiskies and cognacs), Lobby Bar, Marina Bar, Pool Bar, Regatta Bar, Quantum and Cove.
Wine Cellar and Wine Vaults at Sea
The World’s wine cellar has a capacity of 15,000 bottles. A certified Sommelier Team offers more than 1,200 hand-picked selections from 20 countries including an extensive sake selection of 34 labels, a contemporary cocktail program, and a top tier spirits selection of over 300 labels. The team is always on the lookout for off-the-radar elite wines and spirits. During the Ship’s travels, the Beverage Team has brought on small batches of gins from Japan and Australia, exclusive whiskies from Scotland and Japan, pisco from Peru, and small batch produced Cachaça from Brazil.
The Sommelier Team strives for the ultimate level of wine service. Every detail is considered, from perfect stemware to decanting tools and correct service temperatures. Each bottle on board is stored under temperature control. The main cellar consists of two wine rooms, one for red and one for white, which are maintained at preferred service temperatures, 18°C and 10°C respectively. Several custom-made wine vaults ensure appropriate wine storage in the Ship’s restaurants while the wines-by-the-glass program makes use of the Coravin Wine Preservation System and top champagnes offered by glass with Perlage preservation system. Residents and Guests can easily navigate the extensive wine list via iPads that offer detailed information about the wines.
The Ship hosts world-renowned bar professionals who share their knowledge and skills during mixology sessions. One of the world’s leading mixologists, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, has revolutionized the art of the tiki cocktail and hosted mixing events for Residents and Guests. While travelling Peru, Johnny Schuler, also called “Mr. Pisco” and the mastermind behind Pisco Porton, lectured on their national beverage and initiated a visit to the oldest distillery in Peru. While calling on Cuba, renowned Miami bartender of Cuban origin, Julio Cabrera, hosted several events featuring the classic cocktails of the island nation. Award-winning author and whisky expert Dave Broom hosted a series of Scotch whisky tastings during the Ship’s exploration of the British Isles.
Coffee is the most popular beverage in the world, with more than 400 billion cups consumed each year. Whether it’s an espresso, a frothy cappuccino, or a traditional cup ‘o joe, The World’s Destination Coffee program champions local coffee blends and specialty coffees from the best coffee producers on earth. Artisanal coffees are available by table service in the onboard restaurants, for purchase in Fredy’s Deli Marketplace. Fredy’s Deli Barista features specialty and destination-inspired grab ‘n go coffee. Among the destinations featured thus far have been Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Guatemala, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, South Africa, Spain, and Vietnam.
About The World
Launched in 2002, The World® is the largest privately owned, residential yacht on earth with 165 luxury Residences. A diverse group of Residents from 20 countries own the homes onboard and share interests in world cultures, history and adventure, and exploring fascinating destinations. They circumnavigate the globe every two to three years following an extraordinary itinerary that they select. In-depth expeditions and one-of-a-kind experiences are complemented by world-class amenities and impeccable service. To learn more about this unique lifestyle call 954-538-8449 or visit www.aboardtheworld.com.
Media Contacts: For additional information or to request images of The World, please contact:
.: DOWNLOAD THIS RELEASE :.