The World – Our Story (Fact Sheet)
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA – The World is the largest private residential yacht on earth where its Residents travel the globe without ever leaving home. This community at sea first set sail in 2002 and has visited over 1,000 ports of call in over 120 countries. With a continuous worldwide itinerary that enables the vessel to span the globe every two-to-three years, the Ship is a complete floating city, equipped with high-end facilities and luxurious amenities that create an intimate, refined atmosphere for its Resident owners. The strikingly beautiful and well-appointed Ship promises impeccable and personalized service customized to Resident’s preferences in a warm and inviting ambience much like that of a private yacht, well-staffed private home or exclusive country club.
A lifestyle aboard The World allows Residents to explore the planet’s most breathtaking exotic and well-known destinations with like-minded adventure seekers from the comfort of their own private Residence. This exclusive community enjoys the ultimate combination of luxury travel with world-class dining, custom destination experiences, and enriching cultural events – all designed to ‘bring the destination alive’. This unique lifestyle fosters a warm and welcoming atmosphere, a sense of community, and the formation of lasting friendships.
|Management Company||ROW Management Ltd., Fort Lauderdale, Florida, is responsible for sales, marketing, operations and administration of The World.|
|Principal Dimensions||Tonnage: 43,188 gross tons||Length: 644.2 ft. (196.35 m)|
|Beam: 97.8 ft. (29.8 m)||Draft: 22 ft. (7.05 m)|
|Decks: 12||Maximum speed: 18.5 knots|
|Ownership||Privately owned by Residents of The World – approximately 150 families from 20 countries – North America (49%), various European countries (36%), and Asia, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa (15%).|
|Occupancy||Average occupancy is 150-200 Residents & Guests which provides an intimate atmosphere|
|Average Stay||Residents travel for as long as they desire, spending an average of three to four months on board every year.|
|Crew||An international complement of long-standing crew, including approximately 280 experienced staff from 42 countries.|
The World’s Captains and Residents collectively determine the Ship’s yearly itinerary based on the best sea routes and Residents’ personal interests. Itineraries are determined approximately two to three years in advance by a community vote. Continuous worldwide journeys, with a focus on extended stays of an average three days in port, ensure that Residents have sufficient time to explore their favorite destinations. Unlike most vessels, The World spends nearly twice as many days in port as at sea. Every few days Residents wake up to look outside their window at a new and exciting port of call.
The vision behind The World was to create a way in which travelers never had to disembark. They could sail for as long as they wished from the comfort of their own private residence. As such, in 1997 a team of experienced professionals was gathered and began working on the first vessel where people could travel the globe without leaving home. Construction of the vessel began in May 2000 in Rissa, Norway and in March 2002 the vision was realized when The World set sail from Oslo with its inaugural Residents on board. Her maiden voyage departed from Lisbon, Portugal on 2 May 2002 and on 17 May 2002 she was christened in Venice, Italy. On 30 September 2003 the Residents purchased the Ship, and in June 2006, the original inventory of Residences was sold out.
Petter Yran and Bjørn Storbraaten designed The World. This Oslo-based team successfully combined nautical elements with clean, contemporary lines, imparting the aura of a private yacht to this magnificent 12-deck Ship, while enhancing an intimacy with the sea that is not available on land.
The World is the first Ship of its size burning marine diesel oil rather than heavy bunker fuel, making for a much more environmentally friendly Ship and allowing The World to call in areas where ships burning heavy fuel are banned. The World is also the first Ship to feature the unique Scanship wastewater cleaning system in which wastes are filtered by means of a flotation system.
Private Residence Details
There are 165 Residences aboard The World ranging from studios to expansive three-bedroom apartments and a palatial six-bedroom penthouse suite, which boasts accommodations for up to 12 people. All of the homes have been sold although there are a select number of Residences available for resale. Annual ownership costs are additional and are based on square footage of the apartments. The spacious Residences include 106 two- and three-bedroom apartments, 19 one- and two-bedroom studio apartments, and 40 studios. Interiors of the two- and three-bedroom Residences are customized based on Residents’ individual tastes and feature everything from contemporary to transitional to traditional decor.
The World Spa & Wellness Center
The World Spa & Wellness Center is a complete retreat for the mind, body and soul offering one of the most comprehensive spa and wellness programs at sea and designed to support Residents’ commitment to healthy living and an active lifestyle. A team of skilled therapists craft the perfect combination of services and relaxing treatments in support of Residents’ pursuit of wellness, fitness, and beauty. Products used are made with the highest quality, handpicked ingredients, as well as the latest hair, body and skincare techniques to keep those who indulge looking and feeling great. Residents are pampered with a complete menu of services including body, massage and facial treatments; advanced skincare; hand, nail and foot treatments; haircare services and grooming. A physiotherapy program comprises both hands-on treatment and therapeutic rehabilitation, including rehabilitative Pilates. Highly experienced physiotherapists work in conjunction with the Ship’s onboard Doctor and Fitness Instructors.
Dining and Lounges
Extraordinary skill and culinary mastery delight diners’ palettes with international creations often using locally sourced produce and specialty ingredients to enhance the cultural experience. Restaurants offer light options and cater to special requests including kosher, vegetarian, and diabetic diets. There are four major restaurants are on board:
- East – eclectic Asian cuisine serving sushi, sashimi and a wide variety of Pan-Asian specialties (Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian); locally sourced and hand-selected items from local markets.
- Marina – contemporary steakhouse, caviar and fresh seafood; Chef’s Table showcases preparation of fresh oysters, seafood, freshly carved Ibérico ham and regional delights from the land and sea. Custom-made wine vault.
- Portraits – haute cuisine, Michelin-star level fine dining. A truly gastronomic experience in an elegant setting. Guest chefs invited from around the world to prepare special themed, multi-course menus with wine pairings. Custom-made wine vault.
- Tides – Mediterranean-inspired cuisine encompassing European and African Mediterranean countries with a focus on the light and healthy Mediterranean diet, seasonal produce and culturally diverse spicing and flavor profiles. Custom wine vault.
Other dining options include:
- Fredy’s Deli Café – full dining and express service (within 15 minutes), sandwiches, salads, and pastries
- Fredy’s Deli Barista – specialty and destination-inspired coffees, to-go items, fresh pastries and salads
- Fredy’s Deli Marketplace – fresh local produce, gourmet items, wine, champagne, spirits, and retail products. A wide variety of food items and produce is available for Residents who love to cook in their apartments.
- Fredy’s Deli Lounge – for coffee and additional express dining seating
- Culinary Corner – open on Sea Days and expeditions featuring pre-prepared foods (soup, sandwiches)
- Poolside Grill – poolside venue offering casual cuisine such as burgers, salads and light meals.
- Bali beds – located outside on Deck 12 aft, Residents can relax and enjoy the view with a cocktail or snack while sailing or in port; or spend the night under the stars to the hum of ocean waves in your own private bed made up especially to your liking by Housekeeping.
- Call-a-Chef™ – a unique dining option offering private chef service in a Residence – a wonderful opportunity to celebrate a special occasion with a personalized dinner party.
- In-Residence Dining is also available.
Residents can order online or call for delivery. Food and beverage items can also be ordered and stocked in the Resident’s apartment in advance of their return to the Ship.
A diverse selection of cocktail lounges and bars are also on board including:
- Cigar Club – traditional English-style smoking and cognac bar. Features a large humidor and cognac cabinet. Also offers vintage ports, calvados, Madeira’s, Sherries and wines.
- Lobby Bar – a classic bar serving wine and champagne, signature cocktails, and an extensive selection of high-end spirits.
- Marina Bar – full-service bar with breathtaking views offering an extensive selection of wines, spirits and The World’s signature and classic cocktails.
- Pool Bar – tropical cocktails, fresh juices and smoothies prepared with organic super foods.
- Quantum Bar – located in Quantum Nightclub serving champagne, high-end spirits and The World’s signature and classic cocktails.
- Regatta Bar – spectacular view with the ambiance of a casual yacht club and sports bar.
- The Garden – Tea Room and lounge.
Onboard Facilities, Services and Amenities
The Ship offers myriad services and amenities. A few of note include an art gallery, arts & crafts, billiards, florist, gourmet deli, housekeeping, laundry, library, Medical Center, nightclub, non-denominational chapel, sports center offering real and virtual golf excursions to the world’s top-ranked courses, The World Boutique & Showroom, The World Concierge, The World Spa & Wellness Center, theater, video and board games, video-on-demand, and youth program.
Guest Stay Program
A Guest Stay Program allows interested and qualified potential Residents to experience firsthand the unique and luxurious lifestyle aboard The World prior to a purchase decision. Guest Stay access is quite limited and is by invitation only due to the exclusive and private nature of The World.
About The World
Launched in 2002, The World® is the largest privately owned, residential yacht on earth with 165 luxury Residences. A diverse group of Residents from 20 countries own the homes onboard and share interests in world cultures, history and adventure, and exploring fascinating destinations. They circumnavigate the globe every two to three years following an extraordinary itinerary that they select. In-depth expeditions and one-of-a-kind experiences are complemented by world-class amenities and impeccable service. To learn more about this unique lifestyle call 954-538-8449 or visit www.aboardtheworld.com.
Media Contacts: For additional information or to request images of The World, please contact:
Jayne Alexander, +44 (0)20 3709 7809, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanna Merredew, +44 (0)20 3709 7809, email@example.com
# # #
.: DOWNLOAD THIS RELEASE :.