The primary responsibility of the Chief Refrigeration Engineer is the operation, maintenance and repair of the main Chilled Water and HVAC plant, the Provisions Central Plant (condensing units, Cold/Freezer rooms & remotes) and all self-contained refrigerators, freezers, draught beer installations, air conditioning units and humidifiers around the vessel.
Additional responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Ensure that the operation of equipment and plant is compliant with the required flag state, port state, public health and machinery specific requirements.
- In charge of budgeting, planning, execution & reporting of mechanical & electrical maintenance carried out on the HVAC&R systems on board in accordance with the AMOS maintenance system and as directed by the Chief Engineer.
- Maintain and uphold team’s welfare, focusing on the development of a congenial working environment and adherence to discipline of the department personnel.
- Responsible for annual HVAC&R M&R, CAPEX and Capital plan budget planning, purchases, budget control, maintaining sensible stock levels, stock counts and auditing.
- Responsible for all aspects of HVAC&R refit/Dry dock/repair specifications, Risk Assessments, work permits, preparation, job execution and reporting. This includes any required parts, equipment & sourcing of suitably qualified contractors (when applicable)
- Responsible for HVAC&R related apartment/public rooms/galley refurbishments including system design, procurement of materials, installation (or contractor selection), commissioning, final sign off and reporting.
- Automation systems for related ships equipment.
- SEIMENS DESIGO INSIGHT (HVAC control and monitoring)
- YORK® RADAR XL (Chiller control and monitoring)
- CAREL Supervisor (Provisions control and monitoring)
- UNISAB ISAC (Provisions refrigeration Pack control and Monitoring)
- YORK® Centrifugal Chillers.
- AHU’s serving:
- All accommodation spaces
- Crew areas
- Public Resident areas
- Technical spaces
- Galley ventilation systems
- Laundry ventilation systems
- NOVENCO microvent® system.
- Direct Exhaust and supply fans
- Negative & Positive Provisions refrigeration packs.
- Chill & Freezer cold rooms.
- Self contained Refrigeration systems.
- HVAC safety / Emergency related appliances:
- Fire Dampers
- Co² extraction fans
- Smoke Dampers
- Stand alone Emergency cooling units.
- Hoshizaki & Manitowoc Ice machines
- Water dispensers
- Draught Beer Systems
- Instrument air driers
- Formal refrigeration apprenticeship required, plus a minimum of 2 years’ experience as Chief Refrigeration Engineer or similar role onboard a vessel, or minimum 1 year shore based Service Manager
- STCW, F-Gas Category 1 and additional appropriate licenses required
- Experience with installation in industrial, commercial and Marine fields
- Knowledge of ship board safety requirements and procedures as stated in SOLAS
- Experience with Marine Electrical Systems and AMOS Maintenance history, spare parts and purchasing routines
- Familiar with USPH Public health standards
- Must be proactive and anticipate and act upon areas of improvement
- Must be willing to attend vessel dry-docks and cover additional positions when needed