The Assistant Editor is responsible for the coordination, production and quality control of all written onboard-published communication. Through printed documents, the Assistant Editor will promote the overall image of the Program Department and all other onboard departments. In order to consistently exceed Resident and Guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Essential Functions – Overview
- Exceed Resident and Guest expectations of all published documentation.
- Conduct general research for Cultural Information, Language @ a Glance, daily photos, Sudoku, Bonsmots, Did You Know etc and events in upcoming Ports for the Daily Announcement
- Effectively communicates and works closely with the other departments to design and create menus/posters etc
- Regularly exchange files and information with all departments
- Involved with all aspects of Program Department when needed
- Research material for onboard publications including (Our World Today, Port @ a Glance, The World This Week) and upcoming events
- Brainstorm for ideas to keep content interesting
- Assist the Editor with printing of all onboard publications
- Deliver all printed material to the relevant areas
- Assist with the creation of flyers, expeditions, exploration, experience material and Colosseo movie poster
- Liaise with Enrichment Department to ensure all information for lecturers, exhibitions, local shows, Resident events, Enrichment events, etc is complete and up-to-date, and scheduled in Outlook in time for layout production
- Complete a daily in depth proof read with the Editor, checking against the Editors Outlook calendar and the Editor’s “reference guide”, ensuring all information is correct and verified.
- Help reorganize and maintain proper hard-copy archive of all printed material
- Initiate project to back-up, duplicate on ExHD and DVD, collate and organize all electronic files (in InDesign and PDF) of all publications
- Maintain this system
- Make available to crew upon request
- Maintain up-to-date image bank of The World’s official photos; make available to Crew upon request (for official use)
- Assist with a long-term project to introduce Corporate approved guidelines in regards to graphic standards, implemented in InDesign and MS Office
- Assist in the basic daily maintenance of printers and other editing equipment
- Communicates with Residents and Guests in a friendly and professional manner and strives to exceed their expectations of printed material at all times
- Maintain a strong sense of urgency at all times while on duty and offers assistance to others around him/her without hesitation
- Actively supports the goals for the department as well as the company as a whole to ensure high quality and consistent service; Implement new policies and company initiatives as assigned.
- Continue own education by staying abreast of trends and sharing this information with the team
- Minimum of 1 year working with Desktop Publisher or similar position on a Cruise Ship, Private Club, Boutique Hotel, ultra luxury Hotel or Resort
- Previous editing and writing experience in a high-volume, multi-department atmosphere.
- Excellent and in-depth computer skills to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and In Design are required.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and Graphic Design necessary.
- Previous experience in the following positions helpful:
- Layout Specialist
- Copywriter or Feature Writer
- Printing experience
- Secondary Education degree or equivalent is mandatory